My Name Is G.One!!

(Guys Hindi lines by SRK are translated into english)

Shah Rukh Khan discusses G.One, the name of his character in his next film Ra.One, and also why he’s not revealing Ra.One, the character Arjun Rampal plays in this film. He also discusses what made him begin the promotion of the film nine months in advance. In short, Khan discusses everything about Ra.One with Vajir Singh

Last week, Box Office India conducted a survey among the trade and entertainment journalists and we asked them to name the biggest entertainment films they were looking forward to. Ra.One emerged as the clear winner.
I hope so. (Laughs) I have approached this film with a lot of responsibility. First, it is a new genre for me and the stars involved. I feel all producers and directors should try their hand at this genre. Of course, they should have a suitable story. If they don’t, who else will make these films?
Because these films cannot be made by small producers, those who attempt them have been appreciated. When you consider the business of films like 3 Idiots, Dabangg or my own film My Name Is Khan (MNIK), you can spend a little more on your films and can earn it back. There is always an audience for these films. And big producers like Yashji or Karan (Johar) know that.
Second, if I make a superhero film and it doesn’t work, it would dissuade others from making films in that genre for a long time. I made Asoka and it didn’t work. It was many years before a Jodha Akbar to right that wrong. So I feel responsible for this genre.
This is also something I wanted to do since I was a child as well as for my children. I realised that we needed an Indian superhero and I was very excited when I watched Krrish. I was smart with Ra.One as I have made this film a very family-centric film. It is not just another action film. Of course, I am selling the action part as well. That is the first part of the film. Than I will start selling the emotion of the film and third will be the chichorapan, gaane wane. [ Item songs etc]
That’s how I plan to market it. It’s a film that will be loved by the father, mother and child. I am hoping I am being smart about this film. The profits are important to exhibitors and distributors so that I can make another film. This film has been made with a lot of patience, for five years. It’s not a film ki chalu kar dete hain phir dekhte hain. [ Its not a film which you can treat like "lets start it once than we will see" means Ra.One is a kind of film which needed lots of planning and time in advance before it got start ]
Speaking of business, 3 Idiots, Dabangg and My Name Is Khan released just a year or two ago but you planned this film five years ago. Wasn’t that a risky decision?
I told my wife that there is an X amount of money that we can lose on this film and she told me that if I calculate Y amount of money on various films every year, it amounts to the same as losing that money on this film. So she said, “Go ahead and lose it.” The idea was finally approved. MNIK did well so I felt there was scope for business.
I was happy as my distributor was happy with my track record and that he had the guts to buy the film and underwrite it at that price. It was a huge film. Kishore (Kishore Lulla of Eros International) told me. “Yeh kiase hoga?” [ How Ra.One will be possible? ] I was, like. “Tu dekh le, nahi hoga toh koi chhoti picture kar lennge saath mein.” [If not, then we will make some small film alongside]
I’ll be honest, when I asked Kareena how much I should pay her, she was, like, “Shah, we’ll see to that later.” Of course, I will pay her but there was a lot of kindness from the people who worked with me. If I succeed, I will start a bigger, more expensive film.
Do you think it was wise to devote five years to a film when you could have made at least 10 films?
Sau sunar ki ek lohar ki. [Hundred blows of goldsmith is comparable to one blow of ironsmith ]. I don’t enjoy making so many films a year. I am in a place where I can do a film that I want to do. It must turn me on. It may turn me on as the director is my friend. I was making Don 2 and I had so much fun. I had Farhan, Priyanka, Boman, everyone. We worked really hard. It was very strenuous. We were tired and would come back at night and we would be, like, what game do we play now? It was a good experience.
I have worked in 70 films and I have reached a stage where I can do only those films which I really like doing. I feel the need to do a small romantic film, without grandeur and big names, but a sweet film that makes you smile a lot. Something like what Aziz (Aziz Mirza) used to make, that genre. But an even sweeter, nicer film. I wanted to do a small film after Don 2. Yashji bana rahe hain love story.[Yashji is making a love story.] I want to earn a lot more through my films. But regardless of their box-office prospects, I should be able to earn respect. If I tell my co-actors that I don’t want to do all kinds of films, they would think I’m being stupid but I want to do films that make me happy.
In the last five years, have you ever felt even a little detached from Ra.One?
Shooting didn’t take five years but the writing took a while. Pre-production took about a year and a half. When I was doing it, I was also working on My Name Is Khan and Om Shanti Om. I was abroad and my team would get in touch with me. Shooting started last May during the IPL. And we have only just finished it.
I can walk through a lot of films and earn a lot of money, wohi dance, gaana. But I was telling a few youngsters recently, “When was the last time you did something for the first time?” I want to do something for the first time every time. That’s exciting. When I finished Ra.One, I lost interest in it. I was shooting for Don 2 for four months. Then one day, I saw a shot from Ra.One. I saw that trailer mein haath aa raha hai. So I was, like, “What have we done, yaar?” I have to get back. I got excited. I was supposed to start a small film during the IPL but I decided to stay with Ra.One.
Was that Yash Chopra’s next?
No, his film is later. Yashji, thand mein shoot karte hain. [Yashji shoots his film in cold weather.]. So I had two films and I wanted to do them later. I just wanted to get back. I wanted to be a part of every bit of Ra.One.
Everyone was stunned when you roped in Anubhav Sinha as director.
It is unfortunate that one should look down upon a director of any calibre. And I don’t think it is a good idea to judge a director because of the hero he signs. Like when I did Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, everyone said Yashji must have had directed it. Then came Dil Toh Pagal Hai and they said Adi ne banayi hogi. Then Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and people doubted Karan (Johar). With Om Shanti Om, they said Farah (Khan) ne nahi SRK ne banayi hai.[With Om shanti Om, they said SRK has made the film and not Farah] So I feel it’s very wrong when people say that. Aisa thode hi hota hai. Sabka say hota hai. [It shouldnt be like this, everyone has there say.]
If Madhuri (Dixit) was working in my film and she wanted to try a new step in a dance sequence, I would be more than happy to have her inputs. It’s the same with Ajay Devgn. He is the king of action. So if he suggests we try some new stunts, I would readily agree. That doesn’t mean they are making the film. These are just inputs. So everyone in a film comes together to make the product.
So it’s really small when people say, “Woh picture kya banayega?” [What film can he make?]. I have worked with all the newcomers, Farah, Adi, Shimit, Karan and I think they have made the greatest films of my career. I haven’t made them. When I signed Anubhav, I told him that aadhe log kahenge SRK ne picture banayi hai. Tum apna kaam karna and then people will know your worth [When I signed Anubhav, I told him that half of people will tell that SRK has made the film, you just do your work and then people will know your worth]. And when people come to sign you, tell them you want SRK as an assistant. I think he has made a great film.
I have seen his films, Cash, Abhishek (Bachchan) showed me Dus. Tum Bin had some nice songs. He has done fantastic action scenes. I have worked with the best of the best directors in the country and I know no director in the country has the patience to make this kind of film. I’ve done four films in the last five years but what about Anubhav? He’s been living with Ra.One. He has put his heart and soul into the film.
Now when the movie is complete, who is more satisfied – SRK the actor or SRK the producer?
I have worked here only as SRK, the actor. Jab tak yeh picture niklegi, main Don 2 mein ghus jaaonga.[Till the time Ra.One is out, I will be into Don 2 promotions]. I am never attached to a film as an actor but I am very excited to see the completed version of Ra.One, to see the kind of action I have done. My son always tells me, “Oh, it has wires and all” I tell him, “Tu kar ke dikha!” [You do it and show me then]. I really feel proud that at the age of 45, I can pull off stunts that younger actors can do.
You were planning to release this film during summer. Why did you postpone it to Diwali?
Hamara joh suit tha, woh rubber suit tha.[Our suit was made of rubber]. When we saw it on screen, it was not looking good. So we have digitally re-mastered 750 shots. This technology was available in Scotland but we wanted to do it at home. We discovered that the suit was not looking good in November last year and that we had to reshoot some parts. They said we could do it digitally but it would take three more months. Therefore, the film was originally meant to release in May but we pushed it to Diwali.
Don’t you think it was a blessing in disguise as you’ve delivered eight blockbusters during Diwali?
Whenever a film of mine releases, I feel it’s a blessing in disguise. (Laughs) Duaon se picture release hoti hai. So iss baar, Diwali mein release hogi, toh acchi hogi. June mein bhi release hoti toh achcha hota but suit utna accha nahi lagta. Main bhul gaya tha that Diwali is a good time. Yashji ki picture aati thi Diwali mein. But yaar, it will be really good. [People good wishes makes a film release. So this time, its releasing in Diwali, so it should be good. If it released in June also it would have been nice but the suit would have not been as good as it should be. I had forgotten that Diwali is a good time. Yashji's films used to come in Diwali.]

Is Ra.One the most expensive film?
That I have worked in?
Is it the most expensive film ever made in India?
I don’t know how much other films have cost but this is the costliest film I have worked in. So it must be the costliest films ever made. (Smiles)
How long will you keep promoting G.One? When do we get to see Ra.One?
I don’t think Ra.One will be introduced. We are still discussing it. We may introduce him just before the release.
But how long will you carry on with G.One?
Shah Rukh Khan hai na. Wohi kaafi hai. Aur kisi ki zaroorat nahi hai. (Laughs).[Shah Rukh Khan is there, that is enough, we dont need anyone else (Laughs)]. I don’t know how to demarcate it but the first phase is about the super power and you get used to G.One. The second phase is about the son, the mother and the father and the family, and the issue the family has with it. That will be the second part. The third part is the songs and all.
Finally, you are promoting the film nine months before its release. Is the idea to reach out to a larger audience?
Yes, I would like to go to big as well as small cities as I want to meet people. I want them to believe that ek accha aadmi hai, ek bura aadmi hai.[There is one good man (G.One) and bad man (Ra.One)]. So I want people to know that there is a Ra.One and a G.One. Agar aapne Spiderman dekhi hai aur Jurassic Park bhi dekhi hai, toh yeh bhi dekh loge.[If you have seen films like Spiderman, Jurassic Park, then see this also] I want everyone to know about G.One before the release and of course, they will meet Ra.One when they come to watch the film.


~~Long Live Shahrukh Khan

Comments